*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823828-An-Innocent-comment
Rated: 13+ · Book · Other · #1908951
Random thoughts, inconsistent posting
#823828 added July 29, 2014 at 1:59pm
Restrictions: None
An Innocent comment
Be Careful What You Do and Say.

What if a person thought they were helping someone and it turned out the comment or the act set off a chain reaction? It changed the outcome of people's lives for the good and maybe for the bad.
Here is an example of what I'm talking about.

Karen is a very pretty teenager with a group of friends that tend to follow her style and actions. While a leader in the group, she's had a good upbringing and would never hurt anyone intentionally.

Molly, on the other hand, is less fortunate than the others in this group. While they grew up together, Molly's family fell on hard times and lives on a tight budget.  Karen likes Molly and will sometimes foot the bill for her to attend functions or "dates" with the girls.

One day Karen, being kind, shows up to one of their meet ups with a large gym bag. She plops it down in front of Molly and says in a friendly way, "I was cleaning out my closet and drawers of things I don't wear anymore. Since I've lost weight they were just taking up room. I thought you might be able to use them." Molly is mortified. while she knows Karen is just being kind the other girls give a giggle.

Molly thanks Karen and when they part she takes the bag home wishing she could just throw it in a dumpster.  Did they all think she was fat?  On top of that, the other girls stop by her house and bring her clothes they no longer want. Molly is devastated. While the actions are with good intentions the result is a huge blow to Molly's self-esteem. They have no idea how they have hurt her.

Molly begins to purge. The action over the summer causes her to lose a lot of weight that at first her friends don't notice.  They comment on how good she looks and in their old clothes. The clothes they gave her have been altered by her aunt to fit her smaller figure.

Her parents worry. They become very concerned. They take her to a Doctor who tells them she is just growing out of her baby fat.  Her parents don't think so. They begin to blame each other for their lack of good parenting. The fights grow (this really was a catalyst to other issues) and father moves out and in with the now revealed younger girlfriend.

Molly ends  up in a hospital almost dead from starvation. Karen and her parents show up to support the Mother who is now bitter and blames Molly for the break up. If she would have just been normal like Karen, the husband wouldn't have left.  When they all leave, Molly kills herself.

The innocent gift had great consequences that Karen had no idea she set in motion.  Life is complicated.


© Copyright 2014 Quick-Quill (UN: thekindred at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Quick-Quill has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/823828-An-Innocent-comment