*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889356-Whistle-Stop-Tour-of-Madrid
Rated: GC · Book · Biographical · #1940894
Originally for the 30-Day Blog Challenge. Now just a blog about a flailing mermaid
#889356 added August 6, 2016 at 12:07pm
Restrictions: None
Whistle-Stop Tour of Madrid
Right, I'm in Madrid! As I said, I'm days late, and my fellow backpacking friends have already moved on to Barcelona (or somewhere). But that's fine; I figure if I do the tours quickly (while trying not to kill myself) I'll be able to catch up with them in a few days time. I've just checked the "official" itinerary, and I reckon I could boil the first two days down into one *Laugh*

I can but try!

In case you're wondering, I checked out the hostel I was meant to be staying at. I'm sure it was lovely, and the other guys enjoyed their stay. Bunk beds, though? Hmm



But since I'll be all alone, I need to be *err* safe. Safety first! So, I've found myself a nice looking hotel for the night. I'm not a snob, but I do like to be comfortable. Hehe, check out my room. Nicer than bunk beds, huh?



On the plane here, I did a bit of reading up on Madrid - as you do. I read Pocket Rough Guide Madrid   and Madrid Travel Guide: 101 Coolest Things to Do in Madrid  . Apparently, there is a random, giant, baby's head statue somewhere in Madrid. This excites me! I NEED to find the giant baby head! *Laugh*

I need to stop chatting. It's 7 am, and I have a lot to fit in this morning:
*Note* Prado Museum Tour
*Note* Segway tour
*Note* Dinner Tour Madrid Authentic Tapas and History

*****


After dumping my bag at the hotel, I grabbed a cereal bar and can of Coke to fill a hole as I wandered to the Prado Museum. I was glad I did because I was starving. But I did manage to get some Coke up my nose... Don't ask! Just don't! *Laugh*

Unfortunately, because I'm four days behind my travelling party, I couldn't take advantage of the museum tour. I was slightly disappointed about this. However, on the bright side, I'm in a hurry so not being held back by a chatty tour guide is no bad thing. I did manage to get myself an express one hour ticket too; result!



I can't say I'm much of a museum goer, to be honest. So, I was taken aback by the size of the Prado. Sheeeeesh it's huge!! Awesome, too. Because I arrived so early, it was really quiet. I enjoyed being able to take the art in, without being harrassed by other people. My three highlights were:

*Palette* 'Las Meninas' by Velรกzquez
*Palette* 'The Garden of Earthly Delights' by Hieronymus Bosch
*Palette* The Emperor Charles V, on Horseback, in Mรผhlberg' by Titian

Part of me wished I'd had more time to explore. Sadly, time ticked by and I had to move on.

I took the decision to avoid the Segway tour. My balance, quite frankly, is shocking. Also, I've seen little Lego people trying to balance on little Lego Segways - it's not easy. I figured that if Lego can't do it right, I'd probably end up flying off or something.
Instead, I went straight for the food. The food thing was initially booked in for dinner. But I was starving and had other plans for the afternoon/evening. So, I took a stroll to one of the restaurants on the Tapas tour itinerary, keeping my eye out for the giant baby's head.



The tapas was amazzzzing! I love food! As in really really love food *Laugh* Ham, paella, cheese are some of my absolute favourites too.
As I write this, I'm trying to work my way through a massive platter of food, looking out towards the bustling city markets. I'm avoiding the temptation of an ice cold beer: I'd love one but, right now, it's about midday, and I need to squeeze day 3's activities into this afternoon.

Chao for now!


© Copyright 2016 Fran ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿงœโ€โ™€๏ธ (UN: frannywill at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Fran ๐ŸŒˆ๐Ÿงœโ€โ™€๏ธ has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/889356-Whistle-Stop-Tour-of-Madrid