*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905020-THE-GOLDEN-RULE
Rated: ASR · Book · Cultural · #2015972
I have tried to summarize my observation with vivid and simple manner.
#905020 added February 20, 2017 at 2:27am
Restrictions: None
"THE GOLDEN RULE"
Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. ~

"Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets" (Matthew 7 : 1 2).

Parallel reference:

"And as ye would that men should do to you, do ye also to them likewise" (Luke 6:31, Sermon on the Plain).

That which one wants to see in others should first be manifested in oneself; for whatsoever goes forth from one's consciousness and in one's actions returns in kind. The goodness one hopes to receive from others should begin with goodness given to others. One should never behave in a way that he would abhor were he the recipient. Persons who want people to speak kindly and understanding with others, to them, to behave toward them sincerely, honorably, and lovingly must initiate such response by their own demeanor in relationships with others. The Divine Law and the prophets deal with people in the noblest way, that people in turn will learn to act always nobly. God is never cranky, mean, or spiteful even toward those of troublesome temperaments; people who feel punished by Him have rather disturbed themselves due to their own rancorous thoughts and wrong actions. The infinite voice of God is silent, yet He is always whispering gently and lovingly through one's conscience: "Child, wake up, forsake the evil way." So even in the relationship between man and his Maker, God gives His great love to His children that they may forsake their misbehavior and learn to return love to Him from the abundance of their own hearts.

[Footnote]*This "Golden Rule" is basic to the spiritual teachings of the world's religions:

From the Hindu scripture Mahabharata (Anusasana Parva 113.8): "One should not behave towards others in a way which is disagreeable to oneself. This is the essence of morality. All other activities are due to selfish desire."

From the Analects of Confucius (15.23): "Tsekung asked, is there one word that can serve as a principle of conduct for life?' Confucius replied, 'It is the word shu— reciprocity. Do not impose on others what you yourself do not desire.'"

From the Jewish Talmud (Shabbat 31a): "What is hateful to you, do not to your fellow men. That is the entire Law; all the rest is commentary."

From the Buddhist text Tripitaka Udana-varga 5:18: "Hurt not others in ways that you would find hurtful."

And from the sayings of Prophet Mohammed (Forty Hadith of an-Nawawi): "Not one of you is a believer until he desires for his brother what he desires for himself.

© Copyright 2017 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/905020-THE-GOLDEN-RULE