*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913965-Ten-Swami-not-Eleven
Rated: ASR · Book · Cultural · #2015972
I have tried to summarize my observation with vivid and simple manner.
#913965 added June 24, 2017 at 12:38am
Restrictions: None
Ten Swami, not Eleven!
I am reminded of an incident narrated to me by an ex-official of the Indian Express. Once he went to Kalavai near Kanchi where the Swami was staying after taking over the Peethadhipathyam. (I too saw him once there and it was most touching to see poor villagers explaining to "Periyaval" their worries and problems such as the loss of a dear one, daughter eloping with a married man, or son taking to liquor. The Swami would offer them advice or guidance and they would leave, having passed on their 'burdens' to Him). When the Express official went to the Swami, he found Him totally silent. He was in a trance, the people there thought, and so they sat there quietly waiting for Him to look at them. A little later a poor villager came there literally sobbing and supplicating the Swami's help for his daughter's marriage. The Swami opened His eyes and asked him about the problem. "My daughter's marriage is fixed. The groom's party wants ten gold sovereigns. You must help me".

"Where do I have the gold? What can I give you"? the Swami asked.

"You have been guiding me all though my life. How can you say 'no' to me now? You only can help me", he persisted.

Finding the poor fellow unrelenting, the Swami said: "You know we are all the children of Mother Kamakshi. You go to Her temple and pray. She only can help you".

"I have no God except You. I pray to You only", he continued.

"I am telling you, go to Mother Kamakshi and pray to Her with all your heart".

The fellow left reluctantly, tears streaming down his cheeks. The Swami was moved by the situation.

Another long spell of silence. Quite a few were there waiting anxiously to speak to him. After nearly an hour He began to hear the others. Another hour passed. The Express official got his chance to speak to Him. In the meantime came a Gujarati couple. Prostrating before the Swami they offered fruits and some gold sovereigns in a plate. Looking at the plate and the gift, the Swami said that He would not accept any gifts and asked them to take the plate away.

"We took a vow that we would offer You eleven gold sovereigns for Your blessings. We have been saved by Your grace and we must fulfil the vow. You may do anything with them, Swami, kindly accept them," they insisted.

Asking them to wait, the Swami enquired whether anybody there had a car. The Express man instantly said that his car was ready to go anywhere.

"You saw the poor fellow? Go to Kamakshi temple and fetch him here without telling him anything."

In less than half an hour the car returned with the fellow still sobbing. He fell at the Swami's feet.

"Have you prayed to the Mother with all your heart?" the Swami asked.

"I know no prayer; I just cried before the Mother", he replied.

"The Divine Mother is pleased with your prayers. Take Her gift here". His Holiness pointed to the place.

The poor fellow's face turned pink with ecstasy. He looked at the sovereigns. "I want only ten Swami, not eleven" he pleaded still sobbing, this time in joy.

There was not one there without moist eyes. To the poor fellow and the people there was nothing but the grace of His Holiness that solved the problem. To others it might seem a miracle or just a coincidence.

© Copyright 2017 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/913965-Ten-Swami-not-Eleven