*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/919392-Love
Rated: ASR · Book · Cultural · #2015972
I have tried to summarize my observation with vivid and simple manner.
#919392 added August 31, 2017 at 12:02am
Restrictions: None
Love
"Sometimes Dharma students will tend to misuse the teacher’s energy as an instant fix to his/her own perceived inadequacies or insecurities. Just as a drug can enhance the user’s sense of well-being and diminish anxiety, a teacher’s energy can serve that same purpose— instantly. In the same way that a person becomes addicted to a drug, a student can become addicted to a teacher’s energy.

While this may be temporarily useful in establishing the teacher-student relationship and a healthy respect for authentic practice, a wholesome teacher-student relationship encourages the student, as quickly as possible, to develop his/her own awareness, spiritual power, and ability to stand on his/her own two feet.

The unethical teacher misuses the student’s dependency, and is reluctant to let the student grow out of it. Instead, the teacher uses the student’s idealization as narcissistic supplies, and cultivates adoration, submission and loyalty to ensure the continued provision of this unwholesome diet.

How much more damaging is this unwholesome relationship when these students acquire positions of leadership? The manipulative teacher tends to then surround him/herself with a protective layer of enchanted student leadership."



"In 13 years of practicing Buddhist meditation, I have seen venerated, black-robed Japanese roshis and their American dharma heirs (including my own former teacher) exposed for having secret affairs. Other Buddhist teachers—Tibetan, Japanese and America—have misused money, become alcoholic or indulged in eccentric behavior.

As an American Buddhist, I found the scandals heartbreaking and puzzling. I thought of Buddhism not as a cult but as a 2,500-year-old religion devoted to ending suffering, not causing it... But having watched and participated in Buddhist communities for more than a decade, I know that these misfortunes are more than a tragic dance between exploitation and naiveté. Their roots lie not in individual villainy, but in cultural misunderstandings and hidden emotional wounds. And all community members, however unconsciously, play a part in them."


"[Buddhist] followers are encouraged to find a teacher who will supervise their spiritual growth. Papal infallibility is nothing compared to the authority Buddhist teachers have over their students. Buddhist teaching, because it doesn’t rely on one text and emphasizes a non-intellectual approach to enlightenment, is whatever the teacher says it is. At the same time, the bond between student and teacher is much closer and more personal than the traditional role of a congregation to its priest, rabbi or minister...

The structure of Buddhist meditation retreats also provides a perfect window for abusers to prey on students. All serious students are strongly encouraged to go on retreat, which can last a day or up to a period of months. Buddhist retreats are silent except for bells, chants and instruction and even though I am an only child who loves solitude and quiet, I found being in a group of people without being able to talk to any of them so frustrating that I ducked out of a day-long retreat (my first) during the lunch break -- and haven’t attempted to go on another one since..."



"There are no such entities as “Spiritual Masters”. We are each a unique expression of Source, and no expression is superior to another... Just so, rather than putting our attention on the behavior of others, we need to carefully inspect our own. That is plenty of work in itself, and so focusing on others’ conduct is mostly just a distraction in that regard. If aspirants get involved with a character posing as a master, then it is because they have lessons to learn in that experience. This human life is really all about experiencing, and seeing through each experience to the emptiness inherent in it, as well as the Love that is the Source of all manifestation. It is only Love that really matters – all else is but preparation for that realization."

© Copyright 2017 sindbad (UN: sindbad at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
sindbad has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/919392-Love