*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/921933
Rated: E · Book · Writing · #2136996
This will be where I prepare to write my 2nd book of Mystical Realms.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#921933 added October 11, 2017 at 2:09pm
Restrictions: None
October 7 - Protagonist Backstory
October 7 – Protagonist Backstory


“Siobhan, are you sitting down?” She knew immediately when she saw her brother’s picture show up on her phone as it rang that something was seriously wrong. He had never called her while she was at work before, and since it was 3 am her time, she knew he wouldn’t be calling unless there was an emergency.

“Darren, what’s wrong?” she asked as she sat down.

“Just tell me – are you sitting down?” His voice trembled.

“Yes, I’m sitting down. Now tell me what’s wrong!”

“Daddy was in a wreck today. Along with Jessica and Trina Marie.” He started sobbing. “They’re gone, Sis. They’re all gone.”

“What do you mean? What the hell happened?” Siobhan felt as though she’d been body slammed by Mike Tyson.

Darren drew a breath before he started to speak again. “They said Daddy had a heart attack behind the wheel on Interstate 5. His car hit the guardrail and flipped seven or eight times. Jessica went through the front windshield and Trina Marie flew out the back, car seat and all. The car completely split in half during the wreck. Daddy and Jessica were gone immediately. Trina Marie died before she got to the hospital.”

As the news sank in, Siobhan thought about Daddy.

“Didn’t Daddy just go to the doctor Friday and get a clean bill of health? How the hell could this happen?”

“Yes, he had a clean bill of health. No one knows why he had the heart attack. They did say he was gone as soon as it hit, so he didn’t feel anything in the accident.”

“Small comfort. He shouldn’t have died like that. None of them should have.”

“I know, Sis. I can fly out there to be with you if you’d like. Then we can fly back for the funeral and I’ll make sure you have a return ticket.”

“No. Take care of Mama and the rest of the family. I’ll be okay.”

“Are you sure?” Darren didn’t believe Siobhan, but he also knew better than to argue with her.

“Yes. I’ll be okay. Call me as soon as you know when the funeral is.”

“I will. I love you, Sis. I’m so sorry I had to call you like this.”

“It’s okay, Darren. I’m glad you called. I love you, too.” Siobhan hung up and just sat at the desk where she worked in disbelief. He can’t really be gone. I won’t believe it!

Siobahn had only met her dad after she turned eighteen and they had fast become best friends. There was nothing under the sun that she couldn’t talk to Daddy about. She couldn’t help but feel jaded that her older siblings had been with Daddy their entire lives and she had only had six years with him. It seemed so unfair.

The next few months were just a blur to Siobhan after her father’s funeral. She kept trying to call his cell phone, deep down knowing he wouldn’t answer. But she listened to his thick Irish brogue on his voicemail every time…and most of the time, she talked and told him how much she missed him and wanted him back. Sometimes, she even asked why he had to go. Other times, she complained about how she didn’t have enough time with him.

Over time, she learned to move on without Daddy, but there was always that void that she could never fill. Would she ever have a day when she didn’t cry while thinking about him? She doubted it. She hated the fact that she had to live without him, and couldn’t call and talk to him every day like she used to. The question now remained – would she let this ruin her or would she pick herself back up and keep living, if for no other reason than to make him proud of her?
© Copyright 2017 Rhoswen - Relentless Victory (UN: bray2015 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Rhoswen - Relentless Victory has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/921933