*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958686-Santa-Fe-Third-Time
Rated: E · Book · Travel · #1779685
I travel the country on business, sometimes the world. Come see where I've been.
#958686 added May 16, 2019 at 6:52pm
Restrictions: None
Santa Fe, Third Time!
Date: Week of May 6th


Locale: Santa Fe, New Mexico


         This week finds me in Santa Fe, New Mexico for another class with the New Mexico Department of Information Technology.  Once again, we didn't have access to one of their sites, and used a trailer containing the same equipment, just installed in a different manner.  The class itself was great, there was a lot of discussion, questions and answers all around.


         It is always so special to come 'home'.  Being raised about 60 miles south in Albuquerque, this state is still home to me, no matter how many places I've visited.  When I was younger, I wondered why New Mexico was called 'The Land Of Enchantment', but now I see why.  Simply put, there's no other place I'd rather be, no where I'd rather live, than here.  I know, I know, you'll say 'What about Hawaii Jim?'  And you're right.  But it's too expensive to live there, and despite my love of the islands, it doesn't quite have the hold on me that New Mexico does.


         Since the site we used for doing the hands-on exercises is not installed in the same fashion as what they'll really see when doing their jobs, I thought it extremely important that they see a 'real site'.  Last class we went to one in Santa Fe, but there was an employee there who was pretty anxious about us being around the equipment, so the decision was made to visit a different site this time.  As luck would have it, we visited one in Albuquerque on the last day of class.  This worked out very well, and gave me an opportunity to play tourist Thursday afternoon.


         Once show-n-tell finished on Thursday, I drove eastward to the edge of the Sandia Mountains, and rode the Tramway from the base of the mountains to the crest.  We started at an elevation of 6,400 feet, and arrived at the crest about 15 minutes later.  Elevation:  10,386 feet.  The view from there is fantastic, there's trails you can walk, with one leading you to the 'Kiwanis Lodge'.  This is an abandoned stone building that hikers or other people will stay at should they need shelter.  There's no windows (all smashed out by weather), no doors, but a decent sized stone building that can shelter you from rain, snow, and heavy winds.  I've made the three quarter mile walk to the shelter in the past, but didn't try it this time, I had other things to get done.  The descent down was as uneventful as the ascent, sadly I saw no wildlife.  I swear, the wildlife hears that Jim's back, and go into hiding.  *Smile* 



Noteworthy Restaurants:


         Maria's New Mexican Kitchen          https://marias-santafe.com/wp-content/uploads/Marias-Dinner-Menu.pdf    This place is excellent, and while it doesn't have quite the charm of La Posta De Mesilla in Las Cruces, it is still a great place to dine.  I loved their Green Chile Relleno's (Can you tell I go ga-ga over Green Chile while home?).  The students and I returned for lunch on Wednesday.  I had their Southwest BBQ Ribs, and they were delicious as well.


         La Choza          http://www.lachozasf.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/Dinner_Menu.3.14.19.pdf   This place is also excellent.  I couldn't resist, and had their Stuffed Sopaipilla.  If you haven't had a Sopaipilla, you're missing a real treat.  This was stuffed with cheese & refried beans, and I chose to add Pork Adovada to mine, and smothered in green chile or course!


Photo's From Visit:


View Of Clouds Hugging The Mountaintops, From Sandia Peak



In Closing

         I am in Chicago next week delivering a class at Motorola.  The following week, I'll return to the Southwest, this time Phoenix!  Til next time, be good to yourselves and those you love, and WRITE!



Jim Dorrell

© Copyright 2019 Sum1's In San Francisco (UN: jim-d at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sum1's In San Francisco has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/958686-Santa-Fe-Third-Time