*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2536473
Rated: 18+ · Message Forum · Contest · #1931562
My blog. Sometimes abstruse musings and rants!
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Jun 20, 2013 at 2:38pm
My Taste in Music

Hey everyone, I noticed yesterday that I hadn’t blogged for AGES! I really do miss the hustle-bustle, the deadlines etc of the official format. I guess I got used to that. I had heard that deadlines inspire people to write but now, I can proudly say that I have experienced it firsthand!
But to say that I wasn’t thinking about 30DBC, I checked in for prompts on occasions, I read Fivesixer’s blog, Elle’s as well, and today, I read all entries posted. You guys have been keeping busy, unlike me! Here’s my start to catching up!

JUNE 3rd PROMPT: What do you think your taste in music says about you?

To be honest, I am not a music person. I mean I do listen to music occasionally, but I wouldn’t say I am a fan. As such, I don’t have, what would be conventionally described as, great taste because I just listen to whatever I want. I don’t follow any bands, I have never done that. Even in my teenage, my friends were running after Metallica, AC/DC and the like but I was never inclined towards those. I knew they were just listening to the ‘classics’ to fit in.

I would describe my taste in music as eclectic. However, the things common to ‘most’ of the music that I listen to and like is that it is generally slow, introspective/reflective, decent singer (not the shouting kind) and not rap(It’s not music! Just Speaking!). The most important thing I look for in a song is meaningful lyrics. I know, I’ve been teased about it, but I guess for me, music is poetry sung to a background. Words mean more to me than anything. I can’t get over the fact that even though you composed mind-blowing music but you couldn’t hire a respectable writer to create ten meaningful lines? People tried to argue with me that music should be about ‘music’ but at one point, I stopped listening. I will like whatever I want to! Even if it sells just one copy in the world, even if the biggest critics declare it a flop!

What my music taste says about me? I think it says a lot. I am a broody kind of a guy, not too outgoing, not too loud, a teeny bit sensible and a melancholic, not the gloomy morose kind, but feeling or tending to feel a thoughtful or gentle sadness, so to say.

Although I don’t listen to music often and I despise most of the crap they are coming up with these days, I do appreciate an infrequent date. For me, music is about shutting out the world, it’s about listening to a story while forgetting your own, it’s like I am one of the rats of Hamelin following the piper with his magical pipe, so immersed in the music that I don’t know where I am being led…
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
My Taste in Music · 06-20-13 2:38pm
by Jack-check out 7YS
Re: My Taste in Music · 06-20-13 5:13pm
by Fivesixer
Re: My Taste in Music · 06-20-13 7:03pm
by Elle - on hiatus
Re: My Taste in Music · 06-20-13 8:00pm
by Noyoki

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Jack-check out 7YS.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/2536473