SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3165148
Rated: GC · Message Forum · Community · #2146092
A support forum for writers dealing with mental illness
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 19, 2018 at 12:53pm
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February
As I posted earlier, I am familiar with the Roseburg Shooting, but mostly the shooting of a wonderful, loved and respected mother, her daughter and the 9yr old sister of the shooter. This family, the father and his daughter who were away at the time are hurting in many ways. Not withstanding the anguish, is the realization or maybe even the constant mental beating the father must have, "What could I have done different?"
They kept their guns locked in a closet safe. My guess is Dad never checked them routinely. He had the key and didn't think it an issue, until he saw his nephew seated on the front steps saying, "Don't go in there, just call the cops."
I would like to take moment to dissect this.
First of all the boy is 17 and his older sister and younger sister were taken from their home due to drugs, alcohol, abuse and things they saw and were subject to, I can't even mention. Instead of putting them in a state foster care facility their Christian Uncle and his family took them in. They lived there about 10 years.
The older girl showed signs of mental issues but left the home, when she didn't get her way and didn't want to comply to the house rules. The same type of signs began to manifest in young Kevin.
Here is where I want to make a point. Kevin and young Tia were in this home for all this time. Shown love, respect and given the same care as they did their own children. Along with that there is an extended family in the close-knit church they went to. This gave Kevin love and acceptance no matter what his issues were. In fact I saw a picture posted on FB of him and a group of boys, in suits participating in a Sunday School activity, just 3 days before.
Where was his mind? I am convinced, that his mental state, though angry at his cousin, simmered below a form of respect for God's house and the rules of the house. He could have run away, he could have asked for help, he could have done a lot of things, he didn't. It was his choice entirely. There is always a choice in a decision.
Why did Kevin stop with the 3? What happened from the time he shot multiple rounds into their bodies did he come to himself, lay the gun down and go sit on the steps? What changed in that time frame that he didn't just sit in a chair by the door and blow his uncle away too? A choice. When the anger passed and he realized what he had done, sorrow, resignation and respect for the law. He left the gun inside and waited.
In some severe cases, one is so possessed they hear the voices telling them to kill themselves or others. This was not one of those cases. Neither was the Florida case.
I'd like to say get them help. I don't always believe a mental hospital is the answer. I've seen too many people over medicated just to keep them in the hospital so there isn't any repercussion if the person should be released and then go out and kill.
It is my opinion, its a matter of the heart. That goes for all of it. When the heart/soul is right, God can work on the rest. He is a powerful tool I've seen clean an addict up in one night and they never went though withdrawal. He still showed the affects of brain damage from the drugs, but he and his wife were different people from then on. God even allowed them to have a perfect baby girl who wasn't addicted or had any effects from the drugs her parents took.
Its easy to say, there never should have been guns in the house. In this instance, I agree. They should have been locked in the garage in a metal case that couldn't be broken into. The case should have been checked every day as the mental issues of both Kevin and his sister manifested. We trust we have done all to care for our families.
We as a society cannot moralize choice. We justify the need versus action. When drunk drivers kill people including themselves, the alcohol is justified because its a choice. Not everyone drives after they drink. Yet many criminals kill people every day with guns, if its gang related, we say "Well. its their own kind, so no big loss."
We only get vocal when the media starts blowing the sensational horn to get people to watch or march or rally and they can cash in on the TV blitz. I could go on but I'm stepping off my soapbox.

Tina
Merit Badge in Elle
[Click For More Info]

Thank you so much for doing an author interview with me!  I really appreciate it.  *^*Delight*^* Merit Badge in Consistent
[Click For More Info]

On behalf of  [Link To User sisrandez] , I would like to thank you for being such a supportive and loyal team player. Your friendship is truly valued. *^*Heart*^*
MESSAGE THREAD
ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-18-18 11:02am
by Charlie ~
Message Suspended. · 02-18-18 11:28am
by N/A
Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-18-18 11:33am
by ~Minja~
Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-18-18 12:07pm
by Charlie ~
Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-18-18 12:12pm
by ~Minja~
Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-18-18 12:16pm
by Charlie ~
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-18-18 12:23pm
by ~Minja~
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-18-18 11:13pm
by QPdoll
*Star* Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-19-18 12:53pm
by Quick-Quill
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-23-18 9:26pm
by Charlie ~
Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-23-18 9:21pm
by Charlie ~
Re: ToTW 18th - 25th of February · 02-25-18 8:05am
by Bryce Kenn

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Charlie ~.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3165148