Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3166287
Rated: GC · Message Forum · Community · #2146092
A support forum for writers dealing with mental illness
<< Previous  •  Message List  •  Next >>
Reply  •  Post New
Feb 23, 2018 at 7:29am
Edited: February 24, 2018 at 6:18am
Stigma After Violence
I think it's really sad how people carry out heinous acts, and the reason has to either be they're a terrorist, or they're mentally ill. That's just shit. Yes, some people who have mental illness carry out violent acts. But the amount of people is minuscule. People who have no mental illness, but just feel like they have been wronged in some way carry out violent acts, also. There are just bad people who don't give a shit about others. There are people who want to cause as much pain as possible. Are they mentally ill? Not necessarily. You can't say that just because their thought patterns or personal beliefs differ from the norm, they are mentally ill. Maybe they're just evil.

Personally, I've never felt stigma with regards to the aftermath of violent crimes. But then, I live in rural England where there isn't much crime or any school shootings. My ex husband tried to convince me his violence toward me was because of my mental illness. It worked for a long time, as well. But it was a lie. He was just evil. It's that simple.

I think this debate comes down to the issue of gun control, and I know it's a contentious issue and your views tend to link to where you come from. But if assault weapons weren't available for 18 year old lads to buy, this shooting probably wouldn't have happen. No mater how mentally ill he may or may not have been.

But, in answer to the main question. Mental illness does not cause violence, and I think a government who push that as a reason for a crime they could potentially prevent happening again should be ashamed of themselves.
MESSAGE THREAD
*Star*
Stigma After Violence · 02-23-18 7:29am
by Choconut
Re: Stigma After Violence · 02-23-18 10:00pm
by Charlie ~
Re: Re: Stigma After Violence · 02-24-18 6:20am
by Choconut

The following section applies to this forum item as a whole, not this individual post.
Any feedback sent through it will go to the forum's owner, Charlie ~.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/forums/message_id/3166287