*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1176561-Rise-of-the-Puppet-Masters
by Seuzz
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1510047
A mysterious book allows you to disguise yourself as anyone.
This choice: Take over Westside  •  Go Back...
Chapter #17

Rise of the Puppet Masters

    by: Seuzz
You wince.

"Take over the school?" you tell Caleb. "Sounds like a great dream. But, uh, it makes me think of the dog that caught the car. What are you going to do with it after you have it?"

"We could clean it up for a start," Caleb-being-Jessica says.

"You mean get a job as the janitor?"

"You know what I'm talking about," she retorts.

"I'm asking what you mean by 'cleaning up the school.' And will you take that thing off? Jessica looks really scary with that expression on her face."

Caleb ignores you. "I'm talking about making it a better place. Westside sucks if you're not one of the power people." He flashes a sloppy grin. "Or maybe I'm just talking about having fun running the place after becoming one of the power people."

"Taking over the world, one school at a time," you mutter.

"Well," he goes on, ignoring you, "even if 'cleaning up the school' doesn't make sense right now, ideas will come after we get all our chess pieces in place."

"Chess pieces?"

"The key people. Duplicate and replace them with our pawns. Jesus, stop pretending to be so dense."

You give up and lean back with arms folded, to see where this is going.

"Chelsea Cooper is the one who really runs things." He begins to pace "Gordon and his guys are just her enforcers. Replace Chelsea for a start. Or maybe her lieutenants. They're the ones who feed her information. We'll need spies of our own. Spread our own espionage net. Kim Walsh should be a priority. Hartlein, too."

"Should we be making up new golems?"

"What for? We don't need to, not with the new spell." She gestures at the masks. "We get copies of, say, Chelsea and Kim, slather that new stuff on the inside, and put the Chelsea mask on Kim and the Kim mask on Chelsea. If it works the way you say it works, then we'd have a Chelsea-slave and a Kim-slave."

"And where will we be?"

"I dunno. Maybe it doesn't matter. Maybe we actually stay ourselves. Wouldn't it be a kick if we secretly ran things from down at the bottom?" He snickers. "Or from some other hiding place? After we make some replacements we'll have a better idea of where we should sit and pull the strings."

"Gonna be a hell of a trick getting people to come out here so we can jump them," you observe. Caleb just grunts and his gaze grows distant. "Think we should bring Keith in on it?"

"Maybe later. We can get Javits off his back, though," he adds. "That'll be a good deed."

"If you call what you're suggesting a 'good deed'," you grumble.

But Caleb is ignoring you. Instead, he grabs up a nearby mask and slaps it on the golem. Jeremy appears. He blinks, and then leans around Jessica to nod a curt greeting at you. "Hey," he mumbles. "Nice to be back," he growls down at Jessica.

"Have you ever been up in the fuck room?" she asks him.

"The what room?" His brow furrows briefly, then clearly. "Oh, that place. Heh." A lop-sided grin appears on his face. "Nah, that's like VIP only."

A chill runs through you.

The "fuck room" is fabled at Westside. It's a loft above the gym where the top-of-the-top kids at Westside can hang out at any hour. In practice, because the keys are bestowed by the coaches, it always goes to the top athletes at the school. There they can hang out, eat, entertain themselves or guests ... And it is presumed that by "entertainment" is meant—

"It'd be the perfect headquarters for us," Caleb goes on. "Right there on school property. If we can get control of the guys who have that room, we can just crook our fingers and people will flock up there. They already pass out access like a private favor. Like, if you've been their good little bitch, they'll let you inside for a private session."

"And you know this because—"

"Come on, Will, everyone knows this. Jessica knows this."

Caleb mimes a provocative pose and grins in a way that makes you shiver. "And when it's us with the keys ... Welcome to my parlor, said the spider to the fly. And once inside—" He mimes slapping a mask onto your face. "Now go back down and send your friend up so we can add him to the collective too!"

You shiver again. But whether it's more from anticipation or horror you're not sure. "So, who would we need to nab?"

"Gordon," he says. "Steve Patterson. I'm pretty sure Lynch also has access. Chelsea can get in there, naturally. But it's a boys thing mostly, I hear."

"That's striking pretty high," you caution him.

"We're almost there already. We've already got Eva. Jessica and Jeremy are also just sitting there, waiting to be collected. So that's two cheerleaders and a basketball player we already control."

You swallow and look at Jeremy. He was once your friend.

"Okay, let's say I'm on board with doing this stuff to Black and them," you say, and your stomach does a little flip-flop. "I guess I can live with that."

"I'm sure you'd be fine with living as them too," Caleb hoots.

"But I dunno about using Jeremy. Sure, he's turned into one of the douchebags, but ..."

"Okay, Jeremy," he says, turning to the golem. "If you weren't our slave, what would you do to us? Right now."

"Ask what you want me to do," he says sullenly.

"If you weren't our slave. God, even the copy is as dumb as the original."

He flushes. "I'd haul your asses to the top of a tall building and push you off."

Caleb turns to you with a triumphant look.

"That's just the golem talking," you retort. "He's pissed because we've been working him so hard." You lock eyes with him. "How does Jeremy feel about us?"

The golem's eyes fall. He shrugs and rubs his bicep uncertainly. "Not much, I guess. I mean, I—" He makes a face. "I think the original kind of misses hanging out with you guys. But, you know, he has to be part of the group, do what they expect ..." He trails off.

"See, he's not bad," you tell Caleb. "It's those guys who are making him act like an asshole."

"I wonder who makes Chelsea do the awful things she does."

You have to shrug.

Caleb waves you off. "I knew her in grade school. Or Jessica did. She was a pushy little bitch even back when she was seven."

"Okay, so Chelsea deserves what's coming to her." I guess that's been decided, you reflect. "But Jeremy? Even Jessica and Eva aren't awful."

"Alright, so we deal with the people who deserve it. We make their replacements start acting like better people. Let Jeremy hang out with us, or our clones, so he's happy again." He shrugs. "Maybe we can even bring him into our little group later on, with Tilley."

"So how do we get ahold of Chelsea and Gordon?"

Caleb throws his hands up in exasperation. "That's why we need to replace someone else. Someone who can get us close to them."

You think a bit, and Caleb lets you, watching as you pace with your hands clasped behind your head. "We could use our friend here to lure Javits into a trap," you say. Jeremy is friends with Seth Javits, who is almost at the same level as Chelsea and her gang.

"And with Javits we could get one of the big three."

"Or we could use Eva to get Chelsea."

"No, use her to get Maria. She's Chelsea's best friend."

"I'll take your word for it. Right now," you add, locking your eyes on your friend's bosom, "you look like someone who knows what she's talking about."

"Of course I do," Caleb snaps. "And that's why we shouldn't fuck around with these extra steps. Don't waste these copies we've already got. Put them in for the originals."

You sigh and rub your eyes.

"Will," Jessica says softly, and she grasps your arms. You flinch a little, but your eyes go up to hers. They are soft and beautiful and very persuasive, damn it. "Will, we have to do this together, as a team, so I'll go along with whatever you decide." She rubs your arms. "You pick the first step. I'm sure it'll be alright once we get started. You'll see."

Her lips part, and her breath is shallow. Knowing full well that you're being manipulated, but unable to resist, you lean down and kiss your best friend full on the mouth.

You have the following choices:

1. Replace Jeremy and Jessica

*Noteb*
2. Go the long way around

*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Seuzz (UN: seuzz at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Seuzz has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1510047-The-Book-of-Masks/cid/1176561-Rise-of-the-Puppet-Masters