*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1646527-The-Dark-Machine/cid/837358-Jade-the-Halfling-Rogue
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Fantasy · #1646527
Can you escape the Illithid city? This is an epic tale in the Dungeons & Dragons setting.
This choice: Jade, the Halfling Rogue  •  Go Back...
Chapter #3

Jade, the Halfling Rogue

    by: Slaad11
You are a mature Halfling woman, but your slender figure and delicate features cause many to mistake you for a young human child. This fact has made your profession as a talented rogue easier in the past, but now, you believe it is the only thing keeping you alive.

You were following an unsuspecting dwarven expedition into a deep system of caverns. You know that where there are dwarves, there is treasure. The group you were following, accompanied by a rather fearsome looking minotaur, was so noisy and oblivious that it was child’s play to follow them unnoticed. When they were attacked, you thought you were far enough behind them to be out of danger, but you were wrong. An unseen presence reached out from the darkness and hit your mind like an invisible sledgehammer.

You awoke to blood-curdling screams. You watched in disgust as a mind flayer used the tentacles hanging from its squid-like face to pry open the skull of a living dwarf and suck up its bloody brain like a freshly baked crimson bread pudding. It then tossed the twitching dwarf carcass down a metal trap door. You could hear a horrible grinding noise shortly afterward. You were waiting for your turn, locked in a tiny cell like several other prisoners, each trapped in their own cell like animals in cages. You looked frantically for a means of escape, but found that the cage locks are opened by levers in the adjoining passage, so they cannot be picked with the tools you have hidden in your clothing.

Each time a mind flayer entered the room, it would devour the brain of another screaming victim. When the others ran out, you thought you were next. But an unusually long span of time passed and then more prisoners were brought in and the mind flayers began to feed off of them. A drooling, blank staring goblin even started bringing you scraps of food to eat every day.

It was then that you realized that they were waiting for you to grow up! You must escape before your captors realize that you are already an adult, otherwise… yech!
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Slaad11 (UN: slaad11 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Slaad11 has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1646527-The-Dark-Machine/cid/837358-Jade-the-Halfling-Rogue