*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2108669-Full-Mealtimes-At-Gerberts/cid/2348515-Miserys-Company
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Horror/Scary · #2108669
The highs and lows of a complex kids pizzeria, of both the weighty and horrific variety.
This choice: Courtney Chiu  •  Go Back...
Chapter #3

Misery's Company

    by: Elusive Wordsmith
We will be home by eight.

Jin is unavailable to take you from school.

Hanna sends her love from Argentina.

Leftover mushu pork is in the fridge.

There is money under the spice rack.


Short, hastily scrawled notes dotted the inside of the Chiu household. Each of them meant for Courtney. A quiet girl that hid behind her glasses and bulky sweaters. Each note, of which there were varied others, indicating a life available to her family. A life away from her.

Courtney didn't know if she was a disappointment or undesired company from her family. They were always frequently busy and never around all that much. It made her reliable, self-dependant and able to keep house. And it made her very lonely.

Courtney mindlessly ate the two portions of mushu pork left. At age eleven she was a sizable girl, moon faced and rotund round the middle. Most of the time when she was left to her own devices she had nothing to do but eat. Her family, although absent, always made sure she was well fed.

Courtney's family had immigrated to this country before she was born. While they had gotten some roots into the community there weren't many of the neighbors they knew personally. Courtney hadn't really gotten the chance to meet any kids her own age. She was a studious although painfully shy girl. Left alone in a quiet house.

After dinner, her stomach still rumbled. She eyed the location of the spice rack with the promised money. Anticipating that she had the rest of the afternoon to herself, Courtney stood to retrieve the money and head to the one place that offered her some happiness.

Gerbert Gerbil & the Cosmic Crew.



It was always easy to see the restaurant from a ways off. The building was painted with planets, stars and spaceships, the sign outlined in neon. The inside was just as visually stimulating. Compared to the quiet life for Courtney at an empty house it was never quiet at Gerbert's. The bleeps and bloops of games from the arcade, the crash of balls from the playroom ball pit, a diminished chorus of happy birthday from some far off lucky kid. Bright, neon colors and cosmic patterns as the checkered tiles and wallpaper hinted at glow in the dark paint. The smells, it was mainly the smells that always drew in Courtney whenever she arrived at the restaurant. The food, food she knew well. An americana hodgepodge from iconic pizzas, milkshakes, burgers, fried foods, desserts.

There was a hint of a smile to Courtney's usually glum face. Gerbert's was always a more exciting place than her own life.
*Noteb* indicates the next chapter needs to be written.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Elusive Wordsmith (UN: raccoon6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elusive Wordsmith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2108669-Full-Mealtimes-At-Gerberts/cid/2348515-Miserys-Company