*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1512730-BCT-Graduation
Rated: E · Short Story · Experience · #1512730
"I must be dreaming" - Daily Flash Fiction 1/7
As I sat in the bleachers, I was surprised by how warm it was in Oklahoma in February. 

In the distance, I saw row after row of soldiers lined up.  Other soldiers were placed in other areas around the field, ready to show what they’d just spent the past eight to nine weeks learning.

I thought, “This can’t be real.  I must be dreaming.”  Never mind the fact that I’d just lived through the past few weeks.  It still had a surreal quality about it.

I kept scanning the soldiers’ faces in the hopes of finding the one that meant the most to me.  Looking behind the bleachers towards a tent, I saw the figure I’d been looking for.

Even in full gear, I’d recognize him anywhere.  Standing there, at rest, was my husband.

I knew that he saw me.  He was just close enough that I could tell he was looking.  Even though I knew he couldn’t respond, I gave him a big, bright smile.  I was so proud of my husband.  At an age where many men were fully settled into their careers, he gave his up to join the military. 

The following day was the official graduation from Basic Combat Training.

After the ceremony, we got to spend more time with him.  We didn’t really do a lot; we just enjoyed our time together.  That night, when it was time to return him to the base, it was incredibly hard.  After I dropped him off, I put my head on the steering wheel to gain strength before I drove away and headed back to my hotel.

In the morning, I started the return journey home.

In the morning, my husband boarded a plane, headed towards his next stage in training.

Word Count:  293
© Copyright 2009 Erin J. Roberts (sldrsprincess at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1512730-BCT-Graduation