*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1781147-From-this-Moment-On
by Bonnie
Rated: 18+ · Other · Contest Entry · #1781147
A young woman struggles to let herself love again.
  WON  2nd Place in A Touch of Romance  Contest June 2011.*Delight*
The early morning sun broke free from the clouds, bathing the bedroom in a soft yellow glow. A salty breeze drifted in off the ocean kept the room cool.
Sunday morning lie ins-that delicious feeling of knowing you don’t have to get up filled Olivia with contentment.
Stretching out and almost purring with pleasure, she then pummeled the pillow. ready to snuggle down for more sleep. When, panic grabbed her, something wasn’t right. The feel of the bed linen against her naked body was unfamiliar. This was not her bed.
Keeping her eyes shut, she worked her mind to try to remember what transpired last night. While pursuing her elusive thoughts, she realized that she was alone in the bed, much to her relief.
That few seconds between awakening and full consciousness can be cruel. Then, she remembered.
Finally … after months of flirting, dates and the self-doubt, she let go of it all last night. 

Opening her eyes, she saw the window was open. Jack's apartment building was a stone's throw from the beach, the sound of the waves and birds flying overhead drifted in. Feeling tension rise in her, she took a minute to allow the rhythmic rolling of the waves to calm her.

Her thoughts darted back to last night. A smile started spreading across her face, throwing her face into the pillows to stifle the laughter that was bubbling up.
Kicking her legs and then rolling about the bed, she felt wonderful. It was right—no more doubt. Jack is a special man. He was the most selfless man she had met. She had known...since they started dating three months before, now she needed to know he felt the same way.
As her mind focused on the events of the previous evening. She began to think about that moment… that look…that made her realize now was the time to let go of her doubts and fears.

She heard his soft whistling from further along the apartment carried along on the aroma of fresh brewed coffee.
A visit to the rest room was in order; vanity will always triumph. Racking her brain, the tune she knew, a comforting tune. He sounded relaxed and happy.

What guy wouldn’t be in a happy mood after last night

Stop it! she chastised herself.

Leaning over the bed, she grabbed Jack’s shirt lying among the heap of discarded clothes, she slipped it on Inhaling his scent. She hugged her arms around herself.

Please let me have gotten this right.


She looked up skyward, and then let out a  long low breath.

Walking to the bathroom, she surveyed the room. The disheveled bed linen, and the discarded clothes on the bedroom floor.
Feeling her face flush, she turned the faucet on; she splashed her face, and ran her wet fingers through her hair to smooth it.
The toothpaste neat with cap on it was sitting in a dish in his clean bathroom. She used her finger to brush her teeth. There was something comforting about the solitary toothbrush standing sentinel in the beaker.

Her reflection  as she looked in the mirror should have shown her natural beauty.  A healthy golden complexion, striking brown eyes, framed by blond hair. Olivia saw only doubt and insecurity. It took a minute for it all to come crashing back into her mind.  .

A failed marriage had knocked out all the confidence from her. She fell apart after her husband of six years announced, their marriage was over. He had met someone.
She mourned her marriage for a year then decided to take the plunge into the dating scene, a year ago. Yet had never had more than a third date with any of men she met until Jack.
Feelings and desires that she was sure were gone emerged. Although she alternated between hope and despair.
Steeling herself against the cold sink, she fought to  banish the negative thoughts from her mind. She concentrated hard to the return to the present.

This is too wonderful

She thought back to that moment last night. He was sitting at a table with some friends, when she walked into the bar. They had arranged to meet there, and have a drink with friends of his, before going on for dinner. His back was to the door, but somehow he sensed her arrival.
Watching the fluid movement of his body as he turned around. His elbow rested on the back of the chair his eyes took in every inch of her as she walked towards him. His eyes spoke, that glow—the sparkle showed pure pleasure.
That second she knew - no more denying him, no need to wonder any longer.

Reaching the table she stood behind him and put her hand on his shoulder then bent down and whispered in his ear.

“Let's get out of here.” Her lips softly brushed his ear lobe. Her pulse quickened by the meeting of skin to skin.

He rose, putting his arm around her waist pulling her into him. He brushed his lips with hers. She tingled all over.
The friends at the table were greeting her… She could only nod in their direction, rendered speechless by his touch. He made their excuses and guided her out the busy bar.

The short drive to his apartment was both excruciating and exciting. 
She alternated between looking at his hands on the steering wheel and his beautiful face. He was an attractive man. His eyes were an unusual aqua blue. Olivia recalled, hearing the eyes were the windows to the soul. His eyes spoke, framed by his unruly hair. She loved looking at him when he was engrossed in something he had an endearing habit of blowing his hair out of his eyes. But all she wanted to do was touch him, feel him.


For the next few hours, they spent exploring each other’s bodies. She fell asleep in his arms. She thought she heard him say those precious words or was it a dream …. Love was what she had wanted from him, he already had hers.

She heard him outside the bedroom door… she felt sick to her stomach.
The tune, she remembered it now— playing on the jukebox when she walked into the bar, ‘From this moment on - Shania Twain.’

She managed to get back into the bed before Jack came in—waiting for the next moment.

He walked in carrying a breakfast tray. His eyes had the same look she saw last night in the bar.

“Good morning Olivia—it's a beautiful day out, have you any plans?”

Setting the tray down, he reached over and took her hands in his and leaned over and kissed her forehead.

“Did you sleep well?"
She could only nod in return.

His eyes clouded over, looked pained even. Her heart began thumping.

“Plans … I have nothing planned for today.” She managed to say it almost in a whisper.

“Ahh... she speaks.”

She laughed, in spite of her insecurity.

“Olivia, is this awkward for you? Last night, you took me by surprise, an amazing delightful surprise. I‘d thought that... Well; you wanted friendship only. I... ”

He looked at her as he spoke, his eyes clouded over. His eyes showed her. He cares.  Finally, she knew it.

“Jack, I love you…”

“You do?  You love me?"

Looking at him, as he spoke, the amazement in his voice, mixed with joy.

Pulling her towards him, her body tingled.








© Copyright 2011 Bonnie (bonniemarie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1781147-From-this-Moment-On