*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927879-Why-Everyone-should-be-a-Philosopher
Rated: E · Article · Philosophy · #1927879
A quick thought about technology and philosophy in our culture today..
         These days, with the advent of technology at the forefront of the humanities as the key to advancement, we tend to forget that technology is only a tool that has been used since the beginning of mankind. Without taking too much away from our techie friends, I find that it is important to realize the true nature of why we do things, and to never stop questioning ourselves about why we do the things that we do. We live in a society which increasingly values capital gains with a sense of urgency, and does not prioritize a knowledge base as an integral power.

         Many people that I talk to do not have a philosophical base. There tends to be an overall lack of meaning in the mainstream culture of the 21st century. Philosophy has a bad reputation of being outdated and not applicable to our daily lives. People are generally too afraid to discuss philosophy with others because they feel that it is too complicated of a subject. Others have no idea why they do not like talking about it, but they just do not care. Technology is an overwhelmingly popular topic of conversation in the mainstream from race cars to computers and guns to financial markets to name a few.

         While it is true that these are all great topics to discuss, we all need to engage in a deeper dialogue of discussion of philosophical debate, and this will allow us to grow as we emerge into an increasingly interdependent society.     
© Copyright 2013 jimbosuds (jimbosuds at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/1927879-Why-Everyone-should-be-a-Philosopher