*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325469-Life
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2325469
Flash Fiction
Life

Silk, how I loved it. So smooth, elegant, so… expensive… not the part I loved... I could afford small things. Though bigger things made their way into second hand shops sometimes, and I always sought them out. I found a goodly number over the years.

My favorite, a pair of silk pants I found the year before I married John. They felt like heaven, so soft. I wore them to all of our most special outings. John always made a joke that I loved those pants more than him. But really, he knew if I wore those pants, the outing was a big deal.

Today was a big deal. We were going to the wedding of my worst enemy all through high school. Unfortunately for me, she and John had been neighbors all our younger years. The only reason she didn’t attend our wedding was because we’d eloped, in another state!

As I walked into the kitchen, John was already there, dressed to go. He wanted to have a quick snack since the wedding was at one, and the food wouldn’t be available till after three at the earliest.

As I walked in, looking at my adorable husband, I stepped on a banana peal that had fallen on the floor from John’s snack. I went down like a brick! Sprained my ankle, and off we had to go, to Urgent Care, which at that time of day is always packed. We didn’t get out till after three! Missing the whole wedding. I shouldn’t have been happy, but I kinda was, sprained ankle and all.

Till the new happy couple showed up in the apartment next to ours two weeks later…

Oddly, my worst enemy and I eventually became best friends. Life is so unpredictable. Don’t you love it!
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2325469-Life