*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327251-Inflation--WC-240
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Short Story · Contest Entry · #2327251
Who can afford groceries anymore?
Inflation


You’re making a mistake.”

I was certain he was.

“No ma’am, I am not,” said the surly cashier.

“This number of items can’t possibly add up to $94.23!”

I was certain. Well, almost certain. Prices had gone up a lot in the last three years, but still. Kroger normally has such great deals. That’s why I shop there.

The people in line behind me were not happy; they were all fidgety like they had ants in their pants, which made me squirmy. I tried to ignore them while fighting for Truth, Justice, and the American Way! Like Superman.

“Ma’am—”

“Quit calling me ma’am!”

Forty-five is not old and anyway, I don’t look it.

“Lady, prices have gone up. I can re-total it if you would like!”

“Yes, I would like that very much!”

I tried to ignore the groans coming from the long line of disgruntled customers.

The cashier added up the items again.

“That comes to $94.23,” he said, a little smirk crossing his lips.

I wanted to slap him silly. Instead, I got out my credit card. I wasn’t going to argue with him any longer because I needed a bathroom ‘toot sweet’. Blessed bladder!

He handed me my receipt and I pushed my cart at lightning speed toward the Ladies' Room, not looking back at my fellow shoppers. who I’m sure were relieved I was gone.

I think I’ll go to the 99 Cent store next time.
© Copyright 2024 jackiesmuse (jackiesmuse at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327251-Inflation--WC-240