*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327507-Powerless
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Essay · Emotional · #2327507
Eleven - by:sandra cisneros

According to Dictionary.com, the word powerless is the inability to produce an effect, or to lack power to act; Helpless. Powerlessness is the feeling of not being able to speak up when people vilify you. Powerlessness is the feeling of being completely drowned by loneliness, even when you are completely surrounded. To feel powerless is to sit on your parents bed, completely unable to comprehend your thoughts, while they scream at each other.
To truly be powerless is to come home after school everyday, to a falling-apart family. To truly be powerless, you have to come home every day, to immerse yourself in the toxicity of Mom and Dad screaming at eachother, Mom and Dad throwing dishes at each other, Dad telling you you’re worthless, Dad telling you you’d be better off dead, Dad leaving, And never coming back. To be sincerely powerless, you have to cry your eyes out to the school counselor, just to be told what you’ve heard your entire life; That things will get better. But they don’t; To be without-a-doubt powerless, you have to beg your Mom to tell your father to leave your life. But to be powerless, you can’t say these things. You can’t say them at all.
To be powerless, you can’t say any of it. And when you do, things don’t change.
Powerlessness is the feeling of being told all of your life that “I wish I had your life”, or “You've such a beautiful smile” or, “You don’t know what it’s like to feel completely empty.” But how do you tell people that you are completely broken? How do you have the strength to tell people that the smile on your face is completely fading away? How do you tell people that you would much rather trade places with them? You can’t. Because you are powerless.
Because of the feeling of powerlessness, things can’t get better. You can’t speak up, You can’t tell people how you really feel. You just can’t.
Things don’t change. And they never will.

In conclusion, powerlessness feels like not being able to speak up to tell your teacher no, on your birthday. Powerlessness is to cry when your teacher makes you put on a red sweater that isn’t yours. Powerlessness is to not feel eleven, on your eleventh birthday.
© Copyright 2024 closscie (closscie at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2327507-Powerless