*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075451-Text-Etiquette
Rated: E · Book · Inspirational · #2322585
Journaling all sorts of stuff
#1075451 added August 18, 2024 at 10:32pm
Restrictions: None
Text Etiquette
{size 4}The first thing I did today was look at one of my favorite bloggers. Here is what was posted:

"Do not become annoyed when faced with difficulties.

To do so merely adds difficulty to difficulty and further disturbs your mind.

By maintaining a mind of peace and non-opposition, difficulties will naturally fall away"

Sheng Yen, 1931 – 2009, Taiwanese Buddhist monk

I am annoyed with my twin grandsons. So much so that I voiced my disappointment to my daughter.

“They are not answering my texts or phone calls. That is rude,” I said.

“Mom, these are different times. The boys are 18. They are into different things and don’t find hearing from their Grammy urgent,” she replied.

“It is polite to respond, even if not right away, I can understand. But, to not respond at all, that is just rude and makes me feel unimportant.”

“Mom, you are too sensitive and expecting too much of a couple of 18-year-olds.”

“Sweetheart, these are MY couple of 18-year-olds. They need to learn manners. I am going to call your brother and see what gives,” I said.

“Mom, don’t involve my brother. He has nothing to do with this and it will ruin things with his sons interactions with you,” she chided.

“Well it is wrong on so many levels.” I persisted expressing my annoyance. Why were my teenaged grandsons treating me with disrespect. I wanted, and in my mind deserved, a reply. Even if explained ever so briefly that they were busy with being teenagers on their school's summer vacation would be polite and appreciated.

Bringing me back to the Buddhist monk’s advice. It is the boys’ problem. If my son did not teach them texting etiquette or their school, or someone, my job is to just accept that is their method. It is still wrong, but I need to give it up. Being annoyed is just giving me heartburn.

tracker

© Copyright 2024 tracker (UN: tracker1948 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tracker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1075451-Text-Etiquette