*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2256909-A-Scene-Of-Horrors
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: E · Poetry · Dark · #2256909
A poem about deciding, when death decides for us all

A Scene Of Horrors
by Keaton Foster

*Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5* *Vignette5*


A body here,
More bodies there.
Deceased people,
Bloated sheeple,
Stagnant steeples.
Taken down,
Raised
To the ground.
Broken bones,
Empty homes,
Dead as death.
Lifeless beings,
No longer living,
Seeing nor believing.
God above,
The devil below,
Who the heck knows
Where did they go?
Why did they leave?
Was it their time,
Or is the concept of time
Merely a game,
A cruel illusion
Turned on its head?
Broken,
As always said
By those keeping count.
All of you will die,
They scream at the dead,
Making less sense
Than life itself.
Fear thy God,
Fear thy Devil.
Inside darkness
We must reside.
One is real,
The other
Is false.
A decision
Must be made,
While not deciding
Is the real decision
After all.
But then again,
They are all dead,
Deceased,
Rotting meat.
Vultures fly high,
Carrion denied,
Putrid refined.
Oh, the smell,
What a hell,
As far as seen
Beyond belief.
Bodies,
A scene of horrors.
Some shot,
Some stabbed,
Some cut in half,
Many smashed to bits.
Interchangeable limbs,
Who is who?
What is what?
Caved is the skull,
But those eyes
Blankly see nothing
More than ever before.
Aware
Upon fate's cruel edge,
Those who remain stand,
Watching behind,
Looking ahead,
Knowing the end
Before it arrives.
A scene of horrors
Plays out like a game
Where losers are defined
By the same standard
Of those who are
Considered winners…



Written by Keaton Foster Copyright © 2008-2021


Synopsis

This poem vividly depicts a macabre scene of death and destruction, with a heavy emphasis on the futility and randomness of life and the concept of time. It uses stark imagery to question the nature of existence, belief, and the ultimate end that awaits all beings.

Analysis:

Graphic Imagery: The poem opens with a stark portrayal of death and decay ("A body here / More bodies there / Deceased people / Bloated sheeple"), setting a grim tone. The detailed descriptions of the bodies and the destruction around them emphasize the horror and senselessness of the scene.

Religious and Existential Themes: There is a strong presence of religious imagery juxtaposed with existential questions ("God above / The devil below / Who the heck knows / Where did they go"). This reflects the struggle to find meaning in the face of death and the ambiguity of religious beliefs.

Time and Futility: The poem questions the concept of time and its significance ("Was it their time / Or is the concept of time / Merely a game / A cruel illusion"). This reflects a sense of futility and the arbitrary nature of life and death.

Decision and Indecision: The lines about decision-making highlight the paradox of choice in the face of inevitable death ("A decision / Must be made / While not deciding / Is the real decision"). This suggests that regardless of actions, the outcome remains the same, underscoring the inevitability of death.

Cycle of Life and Death: The imagery of vultures and carrion ("Vultures fly high / Carian denied") symbolizes the natural cycle of life and death, and the idea that death is a part of life’s continuum, however grotesque it may appear.

Desensitization to Horror: The detailed depiction of the dead bodies and the nonchalant tone used to describe them ("Some shot / Some stabbed / Some cut in half") suggests a desensitization to horror, reflecting perhaps a commentary on how society becomes numb to violence and death.

Awareness and Acceptance: The poem ends with a contemplation of those who remain, watching and waiting for the inevitable ("Knowing the end / Before it arrives"). This conveys a sense of resigned awareness and acceptance of fate.

Interpretation:

The poem can be interpreted as a meditation on the brutality and inevitability of death, and the struggle to find meaning in a seemingly indifferent universe. The juxtaposition of religious imagery with graphic descriptions of death questions the validity of religious comfort in the face of such horror. The poem also explores the themes of time and decision-making, suggesting that these concepts are ultimately meaningless in the grand scheme of existence.

The scene described acts as a metaphor for the human condition, where life is a fragile and often brutal journey, ending in death regardless of one's beliefs or actions. The imagery of vultures and carrion, along with the desensitization to horror, may reflect societal issues such as the normalization of violence and the loss of empathy.

Ultimately, the poem presents a bleak but powerful reflection on mortality, the randomness of life and death, and the search for meaning in a world filled with suffering and decay.


© Copyright 2021 Keaton Foster: Know My Hell! (keatonfoster at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2256909-A-Scene-Of-Horrors