*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323556-The-Way-it-Goes
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2323556
Flash Fiction
The Way it Goes

Walking to the hall closet with the towels, Mom passed Micky’s room. Glancing in, she stopped short. Even though the door was almost shut, what she could see looked like a tornado had hit.

“Michael Gray! What happened to your room!” she said, pushing the door open further, hearing things slide back as the door caught them.

Micky looked up from another pile on the floor, “What?”

“Your room looks like a tornado hit it. What were you thinking?

“I was looking for something…”

“What?!”

“Ah… I forget. I found this truck and I wanted to know if it still had working batteries…”

“Michael!”

“What? I wasn’t even being noisy.”

“But the room is a mess!”

“Well,” he said, looking around, “I don’t mind. You could just shut the door…”

Taking a deep breathe, Mom left, shutting the door behind her.

Later talking to her friend Janet, she told the story. Janet, turned the conversation into a challenge. “Why don’t you do that, let him see what it’s like when he is totally in charge. Tell him his room is his own place now, but he needs to take care of it. Don’t do anything with his room. He may surprise you!”

Excited, Mom did. She sat Micky down and told him from now on he was in charge.

The laundry was the first fix. Micky forgot about putting his dirty clothes in the hamper. But he learned quickly…

Several times, Mom had to have him go collect dishes and forks, they would run out of silverware and have to eat with plastic utensils. Also fixed.

All and all, it really worked! And more oddly, Mickey opened his own cleaning business when he got out of college. He called it Messes for Mickey, and he makes a fortune! Go Figure!
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323556-The-Way-it-Goes