*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323993-Oops
by Jacky
Rated: E · Fiction · Contest Entry · #2323993
Flash Fiction
Oops

John heard the car pull in. Panic grabbed him. Once again, he was in the middle of a big mess and about to get caught! Why did he always do this?? Somehow, he had to stop sabotaging himself.

Suddenly he heard that car back out. Running to the window he realized it was just a delivery truck, they weren’t home yet. Suddenly again, he realized he could fix it this time!

He looked around and immediately came up with a plan. He could get all his parts on one side of the table, all his notes and writing stuff on the other. The actual project in the middle where he could reach it easily. The broken parts could be swept quickly and put in the wastebasket, which he could take out from under the counter and set right next to the table he was working at. Why hadn’t he thought of that before!

He turned into a whirlwind! He even sorted his pens and pencils just to make it look better. Just as he was walking back to the table after checking all the corners and under places things could have fallen into, he heard the car. They were home!

Taking a deep breath, he stood over the table, over his neat and still exciting fix-it job and felt really good. They walked in.

“What happened here?” Mom asked, putting her packages on the counter.

“I’m fixing my truck,” John said.

“Oh,” said Mom, "so you must have finished your room already so Aunt Hildie can stay in there when she arrives. Good boy!”

Oops…
© Copyright 2024 Jacky (cliffjack at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2323993-Oops