*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324635-Under-Wraps
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Fiction · Crime/Gangster · #2324635
Chapter One
"Where is your daughter now Sir Humphry?" Rebecca looked at the photograph in the silver frame. She found her fingers chasing the intricate embossing on the frame. She had an image of just such a frame in the home of a murder victim, how long ago? Shaking her head, bringing herself back to the present, she compared the image to the girl in the Polaroid. They could be sisters.

"She's at the Angel Ball at the Hamilton." The Angel Ball - spoilt rich kids kicking their heels before going off to university.

"What time are you expecting her home?"

Sir Humphry looked at his Rolex. "She should be home by now. Oh God, you don't think ..." Head in hands, the stiff upper lip turned to a quivering wreck.

Jane's phone rang. "Excuse me." She went out into the hallway.

"It might not be ..."

Jane reappeared. "Was she wearing wings?" He lifted his head slightly then nodded. "I think we've got her. Uniform picked up a girl fitting Marissa's description walking down the middle of the road not far from Hamilton House. It took four officers to get her in the van. She refused to give her name but demanded we call her solicitor. Ball and Reed of Carson square?"

"Yes, yes, it's her."

-*-


"Hey, you out there. I want coffee, lots of it, now." Marissa regretted the shouting as her words tumbled around in her brain like beans in a grinder.

CLANG! The hatch opened and part of a face appeared.

"You're awake then. I'll get the Doc to check if you're fit for interview."

CLANG!

A few minutes later the cell door opened. "I'm Doctor Foster. " The woman shone a light in Marissa's eyes.

"Ow!" Needles shot through her brain. "Do you know who I am?"

The officer accompanying the doctor shrugged. "No, I don't. You refused to give your name last night."

"Where's my solicitor?"

"We contacted Ball and Reed last night. They said 'let her sleep it off. Someone from the office will be in touch at nine'."

"Harrumph!" Marissa looked at her wrist. "Where's my watch? It's a Bulgari."

"Your property is safely locked away."

"I'd like a little fruit with coconut yoghurt for breakfast please."

"What do you think this is, the Ritz? You'll have a bacon sarnie and lump it." The officer turned to the doctor. "Well, is she fit for interview?"

"Medically speaking, yes." Doctor Foster gave the girl a look that said she was disgusted with the girl's behaviour, then she left.

Another officer poked her head around the door. "The girl's father's here."

"Daddy." Marissa made to leave the cell but was pushed back in and the cell door slammed shut.



© Copyright 2024 Odessa Molinari (omstar at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2324635-Under-Wraps