*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326416-Chapter-13
Rated: E · Chapter · Dark · #2326416
Dark Society
Acting together, the girls unbolted the doors and arranged to pass through. Though, in so doing, Sabrina suddenly appeared pale and unwell. As this happened, she'd access a nearby countertop with her head down. As one would expect, Tatum stood panicked, but didn't intend to leave Sabrina alone.

Ensuingly, Sabrina recovered her bag, set it on the counter, and started scouring. Throughout, Tatum figured she carried a remedy, but instead Sabrina removed something bizarre: a sacred medallion. At which point Tatum withdrew as she clutched the artifact and mumbled.

“What's wrong?” she requested. “You're scaring me.”

Time and again, Sabrina canvassed her reflection as eyes morphed from dark to light. Tragically, it was as she feared; the ascension had progressed.

“It's nothing,” Sabrina whispered, shielding her face.

Tentatively, Tatum stood frozen, reflecting on what she'd seen. About this, Sabrina wanted to explain, but Julia had sworn her to secrecy. Given that, Sabrina moved across the room and nestled on the couch as a drizzle finally began. (A soothing noise which elicited a welcomed sense of peace).

Without cease, visions of places and faces she didn't recognize continued. Then again, due to the ascension, such occurrences were expected. As a counterpoint, Sabrina swept her dark hair aside and beckoned Tatum to join her.

“It's alright,” she reassured, gesturing. “I won't bite.”

Begrudgingly, Tatum eased into the cushion, gawking like a child on Christmas morning. From this perspective, Sabrina was at a disadvantage, not knowing what Tatum had seen. Therefore, she wanted to ease her fears, though she'd have questions.

“How'd you do that?” Tatum inquired, drawing closer.

“Do what?”

Gradually, Tatum came to grips.

“Your eyes,”

Expeditiously, Sabrina reached into a nearby bag.

“It's a long story, but this should help you understand,”

“Tarot cards?” Tatum debated, seemingly confused.

“You've seen them?” Sabrina inquired, arranging several billets on the table.

“Here and there,” Tatum answered. “But, I thought only witches used them,”

“No,” Sabrina claimed. “As do devotees and people of faith.”

“And,” Tatum whispered, peering into her eyes. “Which one are you?”

Easing, Sabrina smirked.

“Does it matter?”

While on the subject, Tatum gestured to the birthmark on Sabrina's left wrist. But as easily, she'd pull away and adjust her sleeve.

“I guess not,” Tatum muttered, pouting.

At her leisure, Sabrina flipped the initial card: the upright fool. (A recognizable effigy representing innocence and new beginnings). At the time, this would've been a reading to savor, though Sabrina also recognized the prophecies of recklessness and betrayal.

“What is it?” Tatum urged, noting Sabrina's expression.

Peering, Sabrina grinned.

“You're at the threshold of change,”

“And you?” Tatum questioned sternly.

Like a shot, Sabrina stood, shifted to the window and parted the drapes.

“I'll let you decide,”

“Meaning?”

“Move your hand over the cards,” she advised. “Then, turn the one you feel the most energy from.”

In a timely fashion, Tatum hefted a note from a uniform row of three.

“The upright Empress,”

All at once, Sabrina agonized and her eyes dropped, because it's the same card she'd drawn a hundred times; an ominous prophecy of emptiness, compounded by the foresight of darkness. (A foretold destiny she could no longer avoid).

“Who are you?” Tatum muttered, standing.

Sluggishly, Sabrina peered over her shoulder.

“A small-town country girl, nothing more,”

“No,” Tatum persisted. “There's something else, because from the moment we met, I knew you were special.”

More and more, Sabrina twisted.

“I don't want to be,”

Caringly, Tatum embraced her.

“Even like this, I'm glad we found each other, because I couldn't do this alone,”

Smiling, Sabrina brushed Tatum's auburn-colored hair to the side.

“Me too,”

Since that time, Sabrina and Tatum stood inseparable, adopting mannerisms that mirrored the other's personality. And yet, Sabrina continued to suffer from nostalgia and unexplainable visions. In consequence, she withdrew, ignoring queries about family, the past, or spirituality.

Whereas, Tatum was making fast friends, and discovering the diverse spiritual sects throughout campus. In doing so, she'd gain a vast insight into occultism; one of many reasons she and Sabrina meshed so well.

On a related note, curiosities about Sabrina's affiliation soon heightened. And though theological customs among learners varied, Sabrina remained the exception. Still today, Imperial remains teeming with dark lures and factions; roads of calamity Tatum didn't intend to entertain.

Instead, she often studied with Sabrina and promptly formed an innovative and tenacious spirit. Along the same line, she realized the worth of life and mastered the virtue of sacrament. In light of that, Tatum confided the newfound interest to her parents.

However, they didn't endorse the association, because Sabrina embodied a sinister and untrustworthy spirit. This under advisement, Tatum opened the window and embraced the brisk breeze. Unfavorably, she lives in a precarious period and battles spiritual diversity. For these reasons, only time would tell if this girl from southern Georgia could adapt.
© Copyright 2024 Darkscape Entertainment (darkscapemedia at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326416-Chapter-13