*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326739-Secrets-Are-Everywhere-It-Seems
Rated: 18+ · Short Story · Animal · #2326739
Callie Jean wakes up to a mysterious whisper. 300 words
Secrets Are Everywhere It Seems


Callie Jean woke suddenly to the sound of a fading whisper.

“I have a secret,” was the only part she heard.

She threw her legs over the side of the bed, searching with her toes for her slippers.

“Where are my slippers?” she asked grumpily.

“Fauntleroy, where have you taken them?” she asked the furry lump at the bottom of her bed.

The Great Dane raised his head and stared at her askance.

“Don’t give me that innocent look, go get them!”

He got up, stretched and jumped off the bottom of the bed. Bending his head, he came back up with a pair of badly chewed house slippers in his mouth. When Callie Jean held out her hand, he dropped the wet remains into it.

She sighed gustily and gave his big head a scruff. Despite his slipper fetish, she loved Fauntleroy dearly. Pulling on her socks, she got out of bed.

Yawning mightily, she went to the door and let the dog out. She made coffee and went back to the door to see if the Dane wanted in. As she opened it, Fauntleroy was sitting on the front steps with something in his mouth.

He dropped it at her feet. It was a bird, the kind that could be taught to speak. Checking it over, she could see it was unhurt. She offered her finger, and it stepped up.

“I have a secret,” it said clearly.

She brought both creatures in. The dog came in, went straight to his food bowl and began to inhale his breakfast. As for the bird, she made a makeshift perch for it and offered it an assortment of nuts and seeds.

“Pretty baby! I have a secret.” it chirped.

“Do you now!”

“I’m yours. Happy Birthday!”
© Copyright 2024 dragonwoman (draygonlayd60 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates have been granted non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/view_item/item_id/2326739-Secrets-Are-Everywhere-It-Seems