*Magnify*
    September     ►
SMTWTFS
1
2
4
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077100-The-Almighty-Penny-Unfinished
Rated: E · Book · Inspirational · #2322585
Journaling all sorts of stuff
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
#1077100 added September 22, 2024 at 1:50am
Restrictions: None
The Almighty Penny Unfinished
Blog City Prompt September 21, 2024

Blog City image large

Write a short story that imagines a different life for the copper-plated coin, perhaps a universe in which all dormant pennies are suddenly used or an attempt to collect and dispose of them is put into place. What would propel your characters to care about the worth of a penny?

Granny pulled a jar of pennies from its hiding place in her large, overcrowded attic. She held each coin lovingly checking the year it was minted. Each year a story came to mind. Granny had a poor memory, but had thousands of photographs to document the happenings of her life. They were her coins to keep forever and ever. Her mother and dad would pull pennies out of their change and give them to her. A penny here, two pennies there, they all added up. Hidden from greedy hands who would like to turn them in for the rewards. Ninety grubs and a bar of silver awaited anyone who would return the copper coins.

Granny was old enough to remember penny candy. The country store overflowed with peppermint sticks and honey flavored hard candy. She saved her pennies in order to buy enough candy for herself and her baby sister, Amanda. She was Granny's favorite sister. Amy, their oldest half-sister, was eleven years older and did not have time for her younger siblings.



© Copyright 2024 tracker (UN: tracker1948 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
tracker has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
<<< Previous · Entry List · Next >>>
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/1077100-The-Almighty-Penny-Unfinished