*Magnify*
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426929-The-Fourth-Letter
Rated: 13+ · Book · Fantasy · #1108013
Curiosity killed the cat, but how will a wizard handle it?
#426929 added May 19, 2006 at 11:44am
Restrictions: None
The Fourth Letter
Day Five
I have made so much progress these last two days; it is not to be believed! Or, rather, it should! The orb has immense gating dimensions that also coincide with illusionism, divination, and telekinesis! I have seen so much through the eyes of this orb. I have seen the past, the present, and glimpses of the future! The future is harder to see, though, for in this area the orb works on its own. I cannot muster its possession yet to force it to show what I want to witness.
Yesterday, I was looking into the past, and then the scene of the orb showed a devastating event: a fire caused by the gremlins of the mountain caves that burned a whole corner of the Durdan barns. The day of the scene, however, was definitely the same as the yesterday, the day I was watching the scene in the orb. Knowing these things, I was distressed that something had happened while I was idling away in my tower. Yet when I opened a window to where I could see the barns, they were still intact and safe. Or so I thought. When I woke up this morning, I decided to gaze out the same window to look at the barns, for the scene still ran in my mind, but when I looked I saw about eleven or so men working on replacing that same corner that I had seen burn down through the orb. I yelled out what had happened to one of the passing men, and he explained that one of the gremlin spies, recently of age to start spying (or so they perceived when they caught and tortured him), had started a fire in the barn corner yesterday. When I asked him at what time the fire was noticed, I was surprised to discover that it was only minutes after I had turned away from the window yesterday, anxious to see whether the orb was correct. The orb had shown me the future! And I did nothing to prevent it! Ach! I will not take any more scenes so lightly.
On a better note, I have been able to witness the past, I have seen the most spectacular events and wars, and I have noticed flaws in historical manuscripts. On other sheets of paper, I have noted these flaws down and asked the library scribe to fix the manuscript or at least add my notes to the manuscript. For instance, it was Bannon’s son, Glannon, not Bannon himself, who discovered the Cave of Sight. Bannon was a few steps behind his son, and thought he had lost him, when Glannon came out of the cave and told his father about it. Of course, Bannon then did explore the cave more deeply than his son, and realizing its powers claimed that he had found it himself. This is mockery. Just rewards ought to be given to the due recipients.
However, the past is not as helpful to our people, right now, as the present is. When I asked the orb to show me the enemy, I was at once overwhelmed at the distribution of our enemy throughout the hills and mountains of Palarth and across the known world. I quickly limited the request to that of the surrounding mountains of Durdan, and the results that came back were still immense. But I now see the movement of the enemy clearer, much clearer, and I have decided to send out, more frequently than the letters of my research, papers that note the directional movements of the enemy to the Counselor of Durdan. These papers are to be held with the utmost confidentiality, so I cannot take notes of them in these letters; the papers are to stay completely independent of my progression letters. Not even my own scribe, Yuldif, can read these papers. Excuse me, Yuldif, but it is for the best.
© Copyright 2006 J.A. Strickland (UN: welshwolfj at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
J.A. Strickland has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/426929-The-Fourth-Letter