*Magnify*
    October     ►
SMTWTFS
  
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
Archive RSS
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860708-So-little-Johnny-Have-you-been-telling-stories-again
by Sparky
Rated: 13+ · Book · Experience · #1944136
Some of the strangest things forgotten by that Australian Blog Bloke. 2014
#860708 added September 22, 2015 at 11:22am
Restrictions: None
So, little Johnny. Have you been telling stories again..?


Even bank tellers could be storytellers if they weren't honest. Hmm. Ok that dad-joke didn't really do much.

What about Indie publishing companies who have been caught out telling porky pies? Norty norty!

http://trinityroberts.com/2015/09/22/self-publishing-traps-are-sucking-authors-d...

I was thinking today of different story tellers throughout the world's cultures and nations and genre's.

Stories are told through different medium, in different manner and in different concepts. Kirsten Dirksen is a good example, and the people who tell her their stories of how their alternative lifestyle and housing came about.

This man likes to live life in a simple way, drawing on his experiences when he was young - 12 years old.

"I like to edit things down"



Slim Dusty, the late Australian Country and Western songwriter and singer, is another example of a storyteller. This man was amazing. We grew up listening to these "stories" and I'm sure there are many country people, as well as city folks, who came to enjoy thinking about the "tale" that was embedded into the song.

You see, we write stories and that's great. But this man invented this genre single handed. Back in the 50's when Gordon Kirkpatrick left home and began travelling around Australia, he had a fair old motivating factor in writing songs / stories that would provide his bread and butter. In other words, entertain people, or go hungry.

So, we could easily overlook such a good example of how to tell a cracking yarn. Here is a man who found out first hand, just how to get people's attention and hold it until the end of the song. Not everyone likes Country music, and the twangy bush block style guitar strumming that usually accompanies the songs.


Here. I've brought you some sandwiches and a cup of tea. I'll get on with the rest of the web log entry story telling.



Yes, there's no denying they get plenty of attention, and fans, still today, those Country and Western songs about real life happenings. Country has transitioned into more of a rock and roll style. But I don't think any amount of "souping up" or speeding up, making more fancy, modifying, etc will ever beat Slim Dusty style story telling encapsulated in his unique song writer's voice.

I feel there are lots of other examples like this where we could learn a lot, examine, analyse what it is that makes a good story tick, and what makes it so enjoyable for generations of people of all ages.



Another story teller group effort was The Seekers. Have a listen to this summary of history in a few verses, all set to music, rhyme and emotional backing that comes together seamlessly.



Incidentally, Timtams. Just because they were mentioned in a student lounge on WDC.



I'll now announce that underneath the Globe, it is now sunless and cold. And time for bed. Goodnight. Not much else you can say at this time. No, not much in the way of stories. Because stories cannot be told, and there is no need for a story teller, if there is no one awake to listen.

Sometimes I think the world, with all its chaos, wars, starvation, greed and what not, would be a better place if everyone just sat and listened every day to a good bed time story.

And ate a couple of Timtams.

Sparky

Officially approved Writing.Com Preferred Author logo.

© Copyright 2015 Sparky (UN: sparkyvacdr at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Sparky has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and its syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/books/entry_id/860708-So-little-Johnny-Have-you-been-telling-stories-again