*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Mrs. Reynolds
  2. Meet Joshua
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1740052-Joshua-Almighty/cid/1124578-Mrs-Reynolds
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Spiritual · #1740052
A ten year-old boy becomes God on Earth. How does he use his unlimited, divine powers?
This choice: Josh hangs out after church  •  Go Back...
Chapter #2

Mrs. Reynolds

    by: citywalker
As Josh waved goodbye to the priest and the group of people talking to him, he thought to himself, "How do I know everyone's names like that? I've never met any of these people before!! If that boy that appeared to me really is God..." Walking down the path from the church to the sidewalk, he looked for something to test out, to see if he really did have those powers. 

Out in the parking lot, he recognized Mrs. Reynolds slowly walking out to her car. Josh liked Mrs. Reynolds a lot; she was a sweet old lady who lived four doors down from his family, and would come over once a week to chat with Josh's mom, usually bringing cookies or some other baked goods. His mother had once explained to him, "Mr. Reynolds passed away about the time you were born, and Mrs. Reynolds didn't have any other family, so she decided to adopt the entire block as her family." Every day she would visit four or five houses to check in and catch up on what was going on, and she seemed to show real interest in everyone's lives, never gossiping or talking about people behind their backs, but always remembering even the smallest detail of what someone had told her. Even with all that, she still found a way come to church three times a week, always attentive and reverent. As far as Josh was concerned, she was a saint.

"Hello, Josh," Mrs. Reynolds called out as he started walking beside her. "Excellent service today, as always. You looked especially smart and handsome in your robe."

Josh blushed a little, happy for the compliment. "Thanks, Mrs. Reynolds," he said. "It was great to see ya at church today. I'm glad you enjoyed it."

Her eyes glowed as her wrinkly cheeks it up in a smile. "Oh, I've gotten enough enjoyment out of life as it is. I just love seeing the Creator express himself through young people like you. He has a plan and a purpose for you, even if you don't know what that is yet."

"Wow," Josh thought, "she is more right with that than she knows."

As she said goodbye and walked over to her car, Josh's smile began to fade. The old car looked like it had seen better days. The right fender was mangled and falling off, and the headlight above it had been smashed in. "Gee," Josh thought, "she deserves better than that." His eyes lit up as he realized something. "And I can give it to her!"

When she opened the door, Josh quickly kneeled down and placed his hand on the twisted piece of metal. As he did so, he suddenly saw the world change around him in a flash. The sky darkened and the church had disappeared. He quickly realized he was experiencing a vision, as he couldn't turn his head in either direction. Mrs. Reynolds's car was now parked in the driveway in front of her house. Josh watched in horror as two teenagers walked up to the car holding a baseball bat. Snickering, they swung the bat back and hit the headlight, sending shards of glass flying. Again and again they banged it, until the fender was bent completely out of shape.

Josh snapped back to reality, a new sense of determination on his face. He focused on the fender, and as he did so, he felt a slight tingling sensation flow through it. As he watched, wide-eyed, the fender straightened back out and became whole again, affixing itself back to the rest of the car. The glass in the headlight reappeared, after a few seconds looking as good as new. 

Josh smiled. "That's much better." As Mrs. Reynolds started the engine, he quickly stood up and stepped back. He saw the headlights come on, and after a few seconds, the window rolled down and Mrs. Reynolds stuck her head out.

"Is that right headlight working now?" When Josh nodded, Mrs. Reynolds laughed. "It's been out for nearly a year, and now it suddenly starts working again! God does provide, if you're patient enough."

Josh smiled and waved as she drove off. "He sure does," he said aloud, as he thought about what to do next.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 citywalker (UN: citywalker at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
scriptboy has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1740052-Joshua-Almighty/cid/1124578-Mrs-Reynolds