*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1860639-Hogwarts-Rule-Book/cid/2741733-Harry-sat-back-reading-the-book
by Chaos
Rated: 18+ · Interactive · Comedy · #1860639
Harry finds a book with the power to control hogwarts.
This choice: Half an hour later, crunching an apple, Harry read the 'Rule Book'.  •  Go Back...
Chapter #4

Harry sat back reading the book.

    by: Mr. George
Harry recognised the school rules, laid down since the school's founding, the words written over the first few pages. But, it was the signatures at the end that startled him. Godric Gryffindor, Salazar Slytherin, Helga Hufflepuff & Rowena Ravenclaw.

Brushing his fingers over them, over the surface of the page, he was sure it and they were fakes. But his touch only confirmed they were real. The page was uneven and crudely made, the signatures written with a quill scratched at the surface, the slight indent into the surface ensuring they were real.

Harry almost dropped the book as he worked out it's age. His fingers trembled as he realised it was over 1,000 years old. He smirked, Hermione would know exactly. Flicking through the rest of the book, Harry found that the remaining pages were blank. It seemed odd, given how hard paper was to make in those days, and it was obviously enchanted not to surrender to time.

After the rules were written, there was a short explanation about keeping the book in the headmaster's office, and updating the rules as time and circumstances changed. It warned against frivolous changes, and unforeseen consequences. Annoyingly it also warned about being too reverential to existing rules.

While Harry was sure the book was genuine, and not a Weasley Wheeze, he was concerned about defacing an ancient artefact. He decided to give it a small task to perform.

Ron's wand is not broken.

As his quill dotted the end of the sentence, Harry watched as the spellotape unravelled from around the wand, flying off into the air. Revealed beneath the wand was the Ash of it's structure, it's perfection clear to Harry's eyes. Even to his touch there was no trace of a join, or sign it was ever broken.

Lumos

It didn't feel as good a fit as his own wand, but it performed the spell without flaw. Only a little dimmer, a little weaker than his own wand would have responded to his will. It saddened Harry that his best friend didn't have his own wand, that he'd inherited one. Only now realising how important that visit was to Ollivander's, how important it was to have the wand choose the wizard.

Harry sat back down and thought about what this meant. The power of this book was terrifying and intriguing. Initially he thought he best keep it from his friends. Promising himself he'd return the wand to Ron, as a repair and leave out the rule-book.

- - - - -

Finally, he left the chamber of secrets, it felt like everyone's eyes were on him. As if everyone could see what he carried, and it's latent power. Certainly some were spying on him for Dolores Umbridge, but the friendly 'Hello's' echoed from the walls as he passed. The vast majority of students only nodding to him, or just oblivious to his passing.

The Gryffindor Common room was busy, as Harry passed through, heading with his head down to his dormitory.
Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Mr. George (UN: rjh-kk at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Chaos has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/1860639-Hogwarts-Rule-Book/cid/2741733-Harry-sat-back-reading-the-book