*Magnify*
Path to this Chapter:
  1. Animatronics
  2. Introduction & Story Selection
SPONSORED LINKS
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2108669-Full-Mealtimes-At-Gerberts/cid/2263139-Animatronics
Printer Friendly Page Tell A Friend
No ratings.
Rated: 13+ · Interactive · Horror/Scary · #2108669
The highs and lows of a complex kids pizzeria, of both the weighty and horrific variety.
This choice: Animatronics  •  Go Back...
Chapter #2

Animatronics

    by: Elusive Wordsmith
An animatronic device is a robotic puppet modeled after some character, capable of prerecorded speech and limited movement. Outside of their display platforms they are delicate, jerky things highly dependent on their connection to power and the computers that perform their sub routines.

Oh wait, you were talking about the animatronics at Gerbert Gerbil & the Cosmic Crew.

The animatronics aren't just state of the art. They behave far differently than what's expected for robots, they blend captivating performances with fine motor control and many other purposes. Gerbet's is outfitted with a special track in the floor, usually covered except for special times, that allows the dais for each animatronic to move about the restaurant. They are machines of metal, fur and feathers. Yet they appear so lifelike that many wonder if the animatronics do feel.

What can be said is that after the animatronics were installed they began exhibiting strange behavior. Let alone that there is behavior, beyond their preprogrammed personalities, is unexpected. They were meant to delight children, and the characters are popular to many. Yet there is still something unnerving about them.

Stories within this category are about choice and the extremes of expression. Each Gerbert's mascot as a set personality, determined by cosmic Crew Entertainment to target children demographics, but the animatronics themselves are not the exact same characters. Something has happened to them, or perhaps it was always like this. Maybe their 'defects' are only noticed after hours, or perhaps they have become more pronounced in normal operating hours. In many ways, this is an exploration of how character is created outside of artificial character.

The most notable animatronics are as follows:

Gerbert Gerbil

Gerbert Gerbil is a tawny, brave and heroic astronaut with a mildly outdated spacesuit who explores the cosmos in his rocket ship. As the main mascot of the restaurant and the in-universe stage shows, Gerbert is the upfront leader with his buck toothed grin. While the very face of the whole franchise detractors say his characterization is too generic and bland, nothing out of the ordinary as far as astronaut gerbils are concerned. Probably because no one pays attention to what happens when the Gerbert animatronic is ‘off the clock.’

Hippo Don

Hippo Don is Gerbert’s best friend, a purple reformed gangster hippo that now fancies himself a big shot musician with all the attention he thinks that career deserves. He remixes public domain soundtracks to new wave electronica-disco hits, unbearably cheesy to sit through. Although on the side of good, many of the Cosmic Crew plots are both caused (and paradoxically solved) by Hippo Don’s former criminal connections. Some think is characterization is even better than Gerbert’s and like his funny antics. Although in some perspectives, the gangster may not be that far removed from his pre-musician persona roots.

Moolia the Cow

Moolia is a white cow with pink, blue and yellow spots. Originally a heifer from earth and accidentally swept up in Gerbert’s adventures, several contradictory circumstances have made her alien to her species. She serves as the Cosmic Crew’s manager of the ship’s kitchen and personally endorses the entire restaurant’s menu. The Moolia animatronic is outfitted with special freezers and mixers, able to serve the signature malts and other frozen treats to customers at designated times. Otherwise she has a bubbly and chipper personality that’s often considered shallow.

Fuchsia the Flamingo

Fuchsia the Flamingo is a long necked dancer that seems out of place in the Cosmic Crew. Her usual color scheme is her namesake color with purple and pink accents, much like the flower, although her feathers include fiber optic cables for color changing properties. She was originally pitched to encourage kids to stay active and dance, although is something of a failure in that regard. She ends up being the least developed personality of the Cosmic Crew, in some part pertaining to the misfortune of Fuchsia being the most complex animatronic and thus frequently breaking down. With unusual articulation points, ridiculous choreography routines and the aforementioned color shifting, there’s a stigma of Fuchsia being the animatronic that causes things to go wrong. Yet despite being put in the background she has a cult following of fans.

Hamster Louie

Hamster Louie is a sandy hamster and fellow astronaut alongside Gerbert, a rival ever since they were cadets. At least, that’s the story nowadays. Truthfully Louie is a prototype animatronic before Gerbert and the others, originally meant to be the primary mascot until his characterization was scrapped in favor of newer models. Since then he’s been looking quite thin and shabby compared to Gerbert’s puffier frame, as he lacks critical maintenance and upkeep. The newest trend have been painting him as a villain character looking to discredit Gerbert Gerbil yet always doomed to fail. Although a villainous take on his character may have always been present from the beginning. He certainly has some sort of sway with the various minor animatronics in the restaurant.

You have the following choices:

1. Gerbert Gerbil

2. Hippo Don

3. Moolia the Cow

4. Fuchsia the Flamingo

5. Hamster Louie

Members who added to this interactive
story also contributed to these:

<<-- Previous · Outline   · Recent Additions

© Copyright 2024 Elusive Wordsmith (UN: raccoon6 at Writing.Com). All rights reserved.
Elusive Wordsmith has granted Writing.Com, its affiliates and syndicates non-exclusive rights to display this work within this interactive story. Poster accepts all responsibility, legal and otherwise, for the content uploaded, submitted to and posted on Writing.Com.
Printed from https://shop.writing.com/main/interactive-story/item_id/2108669-Full-Mealtimes-At-Gerberts/cid/2263139-Animatronics